Taking advantage of YouTube analytics can have a hugely positive impact on your ROI and can lead to increases in your conversions and sales. The trick is simply to know what to look for.
Don’t be daunted by the thought of unwieldy graphs and numbers. YouTube analytics are highly intuitive and the amount of insight that you’re able to gain about your audience is priceless as it leads to greater insight and more effective campaigns.
Those insights and can have a dramatic effect on your bottom line and bring in new business. This article outlines five of our favorite analytical tools on YouTube and how to use that data to maximize your traffic, leads, and sales generation.
- One of the most straightforward and useful tools that YouTube offers is its “Views Report.” You can use this tool to get a general, birds-eye view of how your videos are doing as a whole, or you can get as specific as you’d like with detailed breakdowns of each individual video. It breaks down your viewership and subscription rates over the past 28 days, which is helpful in identifying trends that develop as you publish content.
- YouTube comes with a helpful demographics tool for identifying who your video is reaching. This section is broken down by gender and age, allowing you to pinpoint if you are hitting your target audience. Engaging with your target audience is crucial. A perfect example of this is a recent campaign by Clean and Clear called “See the Real Me.”
- They had a clear idea of the demographic that they wanted to engage and the type of content that would produce results. However, they still took the extra steps of charting their demographic outreach and ensuring that they were connecting with the right audience. The results were staggering, leading to over 252 million impressions and a double-digit increase in market share.
- One of our favorite features to use is the audience retention tool. This powerful tab allows you to see just how long people are watching your content for and can be very useful in tailoring your future videos to fit the trends of your viewers.
- For example, let’s say that you have just launched a campaign of three videos, all of which are two minutes in length. Using the audience retention tracker, you might discover that viewership begins to decline after one minute. Knowing that, you can make your next video one-minute long to keep your viewers interested for the duration of the entire video.
- At Fresh Ink, we understand that mobile video marketing is on the rise. It is, quite simply, the fastest growing category of advertising. Companies are beginning to target mobile audiences more and more. Keeping track of your mobile efforts can be made easier using the Devices analytic tool. This tool allows you to see what percentage of your audience is engaging your content via computer, smartphone, tablet, and game console.
- If your campaign is designed specifically to engage mobile viewers and you notice that most of your hits are coming from desktop computers, that knowledge can help you to revise your campaign to reach your desired audience. Also keep in mind that, if you are targeting mobile viewers specifically, it’s important to make sure that your ads and videos are optimized for the layout of the mobile viewing experience. A recent study has shown that mobile vertical ads have a 9x higher completion rate than traditional horizontal ads.1 Use the power of devices to your advantage and watch your content flourish.
- This tool is helpful for finding out where your videos are having the most impact and engaging the most reviews. The playback locations tab tells you where people are watching your video and if people are embedded your videos on their own websites and blogs. To make it even more dynamic, this tab also breaks down estimated minutes watched and the average view duration, but this tab breaks both of those down by location.
- This can give you valuable insights into the consumers that you’re reaching with your videos and can ultimately help you to craft a more effective campaign. For example, if you are looking to target consumers in your particular market, you can track where your views are coming from and make sure that you are reaching local consumers. If you are looking to expand your market, playback locations can help you to gauge if you are gaining traction in new markets.
As you should be able to tell by now, YouTube analytics are an incredible resource for growing your business and sales. Using these tools to improve the public’s engagement with your videos not only increases the power of your campaign, but in turn can improve your ROI, leads, and conversions. Take advantage of these tools and you’ll be head and shoulders above the competition.